I am TERRIBLE when it comes to choosing colors! I don’t know why but if it weren’t for the DSP packs telling me what colors to put together, I would be monochromatic! This challenge was fantastic for me! It gave me great ideas on what colors to use. For the Suite Surprises part of the challenge, I used the Succulent Garden Suite. The surprise for me was cover up another boo-boo! The metal rimmed pearls were perfect! The large one covered the boo-boo (embellishment opportunity!!) and the small one made a great flower center!!
So, what was the mistake? I cleaned the photopolymer stamp before I stamped Happy. I inked up the word happy with Rose Red and stamped, M-o-t was visible from the dirty stamp cleaner I used… UGH. I covered that baby up with the metal rimmed pearl! Perfection! The colors I saw in this color combination was: Whisper White (I tried Smoky Slate and it was too dark for me), Pink Pirouette, Sweet Sugarplum, Rose Red, Always Artichoke and Pear Pizzazz.
Tomorrow, I will post Challenge 5. Stay tuned!
The third challenge is to take a sketch and make a card with it. With the Sweet/Suite Suprises theme… Well when I saw this sketch, I knew exactly what I was going to do with it! It just came to me! I used the Urban District Suite and made a very simple card using the Sketch below. I used both Urban District and Nailed It stamp sets, the Build It Framelits (to cut out the hexagon and to make the ruler at the bottom of the card), the Urban Underground Washi Tape and the Urban Underground Embellishments. I would love to see what you create with the sketch below! Post a link in the comments section and I will visit your card!
Here’s another challenge that I just LOVED! In short, the challenge is to take a technique off of splitcoaststampers.com and make a card with it! So, here’s my technique: Cling Wrap Background
I DEFINITELY encourage you to try it. It was easy and quick! The hardest part was waiting for it to dry!! I took some Stampin’ Spots that I have been collecting with every Paper Pumpkin…. This color combo is Flirty Flamingo, Watermelon Wonder and Calypso Coral. Believe it or not, I have some Basic Gray in there but it didn’t really show up where I thought it would… LOL. I crumpled the cling wrap just a little bit, stamped the color on the cling wrap and spritzed it with water. Easy! Be sure to read the directions though! The rest of the card has the Tasty Treats Washi Tape, a butterfly punch, a mini paper clip and the Sprinkles Embellishments!
I am definitely going to do this technique again soon! But as a real background. I am waiting to get my hands on some of the new In-Colors… OMGosh… They are GORGEOUS!!
So…. Yesterday, I described a masking technique that I did. Here’s the card I really want you to see…. This is the way that the technique was meant to be done. With Dies that are bolder. Anyway, I love the way yesterday’s card looks but you can see the difference with today’s. I left the masking tape on and stamped. Took the masking tape off and stamped. LOVE LOVE LOVE the way this came out!
Below you will find a close-up. You will see what I mean about some of the images being stamped on top while others stamped “underneath”. Funny story about this card. This is for my guy’s 48th birthday later this month. I was making it while he was working on the craft room…. he was right there and didn’t see it!
I used the Urban District, Timeless Textures, Gorgeous Grunge and Number of Years Stamp sets. I also used the Large Numbers Framelits. Masking tape and sponges and inks in Daffodil Delight, Crushed Curry and Delightful Dijon for the background, Basic Gray and Basic Black (both Archival) for the stamping! I also used the Urban Distric Washi Tape on Basic Gray cardstock. Now, if I could find my embellishments…. that would be great………………………….
If you need stamping supplies, you can shop on my website 24/7: http://mamaschroeg.stampinup.net
Given a challenge of making a one-layer card, I tried a new technique called Die Cut Masking. This isn’t exactly how this technique was to be used but I wanted to change things up a bit. I took painters tape and lined by Big Shot cutting pad with it. I then put the die cut on top of the tape and ran it through. Carefully, I peeled the tape outline off the cutting pad and stuck it to watercolor paper. I pressed firmly to made sure it adhered… I then went to town on the watercolor paper. I heat set the paper and then removed the tape.
Now, I could have clear embossed this and watercolored. I would have gotten the same effect, essentially. However, notice the “Thanks for the smile and everything else”. It’s stamped on TOP of the dragon fly – you can’t do that with clear embossing. I am going to do this technique again…. doing it the way it was meant to be done…. I will show you it again, tomorrow.
The colors of ink that I used were Soft Sky, Marina Mist, Night of Navy and Elegant Eggplant. The paper is Marina Mist and Watercolor Paper. Detailed Dragonfly Thinlits were used to cut the painters tape. I also used the Sale-A-Bration ribbon as an embellishment along with White Perfect Accents. If you need supplies, please visit my website: mamaschroeg.stampinup.net